Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Update #8 - Still Waiting

Getting close to 4 hours.  No word yet.  Doctors expected around 4 hours, plus or minus 2 hours.  Who would think a kidney transplant could be so complicated? 

The plan for the surgery was to first try to put the kidney in her right side (below the current piece-o-crap kidney).  They knew they might end up cutting her open on the right side, poking around a bit, then if there isn't room open her up on the left side where there will definitely be room.  They had a reason for not going straight to the left side, but I forget why.

So Karen's mom, sister, and I are sitting in the waiting room eagerly awaiting our 'buzzer' to go off.  It's one of those things you get when you wait for a table at a restaurant!  Supposedly it will buzz, light-up, etc - then we check in at the desk.  Then they will send someone down to update us.

Obviously the anticipation is fairly brutal right now.  Tough to think a bunch of people have been standing over Karen for hours.  I wonder if they take breaks?  Anyone know??

Hopefully we'll have more news soon!

3 comments:

  1. We love you guys. Thanks for the update, Still praying:) Jim and Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say for sure- every hospital is different, but probably no breaks. Typically the less 'traffic' in the room, the better. But I've never done a transplant, I've only been apart of taking the organs to send somewhere else. Thinking about you guys and praying:) Keep us posted, Michelle Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not in the medical profession - obviously - but my philosophy has become that the more time they take, the more time they can take to do it right.
    Boucher, this waiting will pass. What will not depart are all of your family and friends who are right there waiting with you figuratively and literally. Hang in there brother.

    ReplyDelete