Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Update #18 - Barbara's big day!

As I write this, Karen's mother is undergoing preparation for her Kidney donation scheduled for 1400.  What a wonderful human being she is.  A bit nervous this morning, but overall, handling everything like a champ.  Some of you may be wondering, "Why is Barbara donating a kidney if Karen already received one?"  If you are interested in the answer to that, check out the following link.  It details what exactly the kidney exchange program is all about.

http://transplants.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=112&oTopID=34

Keep in mind, Karen is doing great, and getting better.  I'm in awe that Barbara is completely fine going under the knife, knowing that her daughter is going to be okay whether she goes through the surgery or not.  It's a testament to her character that she is still 100% willing to donate her kidney, given the conditions.  There wasn't a single shred of her being that even flinched at the idea.  I'm not sure exactly how many people will receive kidneys because of Barbara's donation, but last I heard it was around five.  Isn't that amazing?  Please give the web page a look...consider if you would be willing to give a kidney to a stranger, knowing that it can set off a chain of which potentially dozens of people will receive the gift of life.  Living donation is a beautiful thing. 

I'll update throughout the day.

-Bob

1 comment: