Saturday, February 19, 2011

Update #16 - Huge Improvements

It's unbelievable, but Karen seems pretty close to her old self.  Of course there is some pain from the incision, but all other ailments have pretty much resolved themselves.  A few exciting things to report:

1. Karen was placed back on normal foods today!  She ordered turkey and gravy with mashed potatoes for dinner.  I asked how it was, she said, "Awful!"  I guess it is hospital food. 

2. We received word that Karen may be discharged from the hospital tomorrow!  Holy cow, that happened fast.

3. Probably the most exciting thing today, and this may be a bit disgusting to some, but Karen had her catheter removed today!  Now here's why it's so exciting....when she went pee, it was YELLOW!  Okay, I realize probably every one of you are shaking your heads saying, "Come on Bob, really?  This is what you're updating us on?"  BUT ----- think of it, Karen's kidneys haven't been working.  Whenever she peed prior to the surgery, it was always clear, because the kidneys were not filtering any of the toxins out of her body!  No matter how hydrated or dehydrated she was, she had clear pee.  For the first time in over a year, Karen's pee was yellow! 

So of course, I immediately told her she was dehydrated and that she needs to drink more water :)

I'll let you know if/when we get released.

-Bob

2 comments:

  1. We are so happy to hear that Karen's recovery is going so well!
    Angie and Zack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen looks to recover very well, the kidney is working good. Great! Good luck!

    Hallgeir and family (Norway)

    ReplyDelete