Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Update #12 - Day 1 Post-Transplant - Pain and Nausea, but Working Kidney!

Karen's kidney function continues to improve - creatnine level is 2.5!  Simply amazing.

Unfortunately, not only is Karen in a LOT of pain, she has a LOT of nausea too.  Going in, her worst fear was nausea.  She told me today, "I had no idea it could hurt this much," which tells me maybe the pain is kicking her butt more than the nausea.  Either way, my poor baby is hurting, please continue to pray for her.

It was about 0100 when Karen was rolled into her room.  I was able to lay down by about 0130.  Starting at 0200, an alarm went off every hour, on the hour.  If I do nothing, the alarm gets louder and louder.  I have to "silence" the alarm, then call the nurse.  They record her urine output and whatever other checks they need to do.  Since I had three large Starbucks yesterday (including one at 10 pm), it wasn't too tough to pop out of bed to take care of things.  In fact, I think I was actually sleeping with my eyes open. 

The Nephrology team just stopped by.  They were very positive.  They said everything is happening as expected.  The nausea is due in large part to the very strong pain medication she is getting.

Also, we had a quick visit from Suzanne, Karen's transplant coordinator.  She told Karen she would tell her all about the kidney donor later (43 yr old man from Texas is all we know)...Karen just isn't up for talking yet.  She said it is a GREAT KIDNEY that Karen received.

In thirty minutes they will try to get Karen out of bed to move around a bit.  They said that will "kick-start" her body to start functioning normal again.  It's funny, she has this incredibly great, strong kidney...now the rest of her body needs to catch up!

As mentioned prior, the hospital does not allow flowers to be kept in transplant patient's rooms.  We did have a beautiful bouquet arrive...Karen was able to see them through the door...then they were wheeled off to the penalty box.  If you already sent some, don't worry, I will get them to the hotel room which we will move into this weekend or early next week.  I will also be sure to show her them through the door!

Other things to note.  Karen won't be able to eat solid foods for possibly another day or two.  She's pretty bummed about that.  I think she would like anything and everything that would make her feel "normal".  Also, I don't think she'll be ready for visitors until at least Friday.  I will be sure to update you on that tomorrow.

Keep praying--

-Bob

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that the new kidney is working. Pain and nausea suck but it will get better. I think being able to start moving will help, it will help to get the other things moving so Karen is able to get to a regular diet. Hang in there, things will only get better
    Ka Ren

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear her creatnine levels are dropping! And probably the last thing you need to hear is medical advice but I just wanted to say...Zofran is the best for nausea (I've been on them all) and sometimes they hold off on giving it because it's crazy expensive and a lot of insurance companies don't cover it but Tricare DOES!

    Keeping Karen (and all the family) in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So have you been saying yeehaw alot or ALL of the SUDDEN became interested in bullriding or anything lol!!! AH HA HA HA HA....

    LOVE YOU LITTLE SIS!!

    Oh by the way! I would like to be included in your last post on how AWESOME your HUSBAND AND YOUR SISTER ARE!!! geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I meant Love, Your little sis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The 43 year old man from Texas" is my neighbor, John. I'm actually from California though. So I completely understand if you are picturing a man with wranglers, a cowboy hat and boots that says "Howdy". You will soon see that's not John. Although he may mess with you and send a crazy photoshopped or well staged picture. He is a great man with a wonderful wife and two beautiful daughters. He showed us the card Karen sent and the pictures. When I asked if it was ok for me to comment on the blog, he jokingly said to make sure she knows that his kidney functions best on Miller Lite. ;0) We are so proud of his selfless act that helped your wife and so many others. I know he plans on contacting her so I won't spill the beans. So cool that you're a pilot! And the F-16 no less!!! My grandfather started a company called Aircraft Technical Services in CA. He was and my uncles and cousin are all aeronautical engineers. Both my parents had their private pilot licenses. So of course, my son's room has an airplane theme. I can't wait to read the rest of the blog (tonight) and I'm so glad the transplant went well. Tell Karen she got a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh! We're so excited to hear from you Heather!!!!!! You just made our night!!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny,
    I was wondering if you had forgotten which one of us was born first? Ha! And of course you are awesome! I will never forget the sight of you at the santa monica pier!
    Love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete