Sunday, February 13, 2011

Update #5 - Two Days to Go!

Tic Toc!

Busy, busy, busy.  The last week has flown by - we've hardly been able to catch our breath.  As you can see by the times of my posts, there are just not enough hours in the day to take care of everything.

Everything is still on track for the 15th.  This week has been spent tying-up loose ends, trying to keep Karen and her mother from catching colds, and ensuring things are all set on the home-front in preparation for our 2-week 'trip'.

Some great things from this week:
- Picked up Karen's mother from the airport
- Karen's mother received a "go-ahead" for her kidney donation on the 23rd
- Austin turned 14!  Had the "best birthday ever", which included video games until 2 a.m. on his brand new flat screen T.V., then paintball with friends the next day using his brand new paintball gun that shoots 12-15 paintballs per second....per SECOND?...what the h?
- I got the Camaro running
- Lena had a glazed donut
- Karen and I had Indian food for date night and met Mahli!
- We had two wonderful friends stop by with lunch
- I saw J.T. jump clear over Lena when she rode her bike at him completely out of control.  He was like Michael Jordan with the grace of a very hairy ballerina
- We picked up my mother from the airport tonight!

Some not so great things from this week:
- Lena got VERY sick - possibly bronchitis or the croup.?.?  Whatever it is, it sounded like there was a gurgling swamp in her chest
- Karen had to wear a heart monitor for most the week
- We didn't even get close to finishing everything we wanted to this week
- Lena threw up on her carpet
- Elvis ate 10 glazed donuts
- Elvis threw up on the tile
- One of the friends that stopped by with lunch had a cold so didn't stay for lunch :(
- I didn't get the Camaro running.  I just wanted to see what it looked like to type "I got the Camaro running"

I wish I had only good things to report.  I wish I only had to say "Karen is doing great!"  The truth of the matter is that Karen has been having a rather difficult week.  The reality of the situation is setting in.  For the last 30 years, Karen has known that she would one day need a kidney transplant.  You'd think right now it would be nothing but great feelings.  Feelings of relief.  Feelings of jubilation.  In reality, it's scary!  It's a major surgery that isn't guaranteed to go well.  We have such high hopes.  Hopes that after the surgery, every negative feeling that Karen has (pain, fatigue, etc) will go away.  It's tough to think, "what if they don't go away?  What if all the problems are still there?  What if the kidney gets rejected?"  All these thoughts on top of a ridiculously busy week have been absolutely overwhelming. 

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I do want this blog to be an honest reflection of our reality.  Words of encouragement and PRAYERS are greatly appreciated and needed right now.  Post a comment, give Karen a call, shoot a text, stop by the house, Facebook, and most of all, PRAY. 

We plan to leave for LA on Monday around 1200.  My mom, Jan, is an angel, and will be staying with Austin and Lena.  She will fill in for Karen and I while we are getting Karen's 'tune-up' done.  The surgery will take place Tuesday afternoon, assuming all goes well. 

I'll try to update before the surgery.

Cheers,

Bob

13 comments:

  1. Thanks Bouche for the updates! Your whole family is in our prayers. If there's anyone who's got positive feelings on her side, it's Karen. She's one of the most positive chicas I know. We'll be eagerly awaiting your other postings. Give K a hug for me! The Geese :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby, keep writing it all out - the good, the bad and the ugly. You're not being negative, your humanity is inspiring and refreshing. Don't apologize for what you're going through; you and Karen have been through A LOT in all your years together. We've all be conditioned to say "stay positive" and "keep your chin-up" etc...BS. It sucks, it's raw and it's real and I for one am eternally grateful that you've decided to share your life (all the ups and downs) with us. Keep moving forward and keep sharing amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys during this fragile time in your lives. We know everything is going to go smoothly and you will have a quick recovery Karen!!!! I am glad your mom got ok'd to go ahead with the kidney donation. What an amazing mom you have :-) Please keep us posted and in the meantime all our prayers are coming your way. Lots of love and luck in the near future. Love, Kari and Ryan Gaffaney

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog...a great way for you to get out what you are feeling and know that you have support and prayers going your way. We are praying for your family! We think of you guys, especially Karen, often and know that the Lord is capable of healing Karen and allowing this surgery to work. We pray for His hand to be in the room as the surgeon does what he's trained to do! We pray for strength for your family after the surgery and the ability to rest. If there is anything specific we can pray for please do not hesitate to ask. I will send an email to all my friends back home that can lift her & your family up in prayer as well! I look forward to reading your blog over the next coming weeks...

    Love,
    The Whiteners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen and Bob,
    We have our prayer warriors on the war path. Lots and lots of prayers are said just for the both of you and your amazing family. We won't stop until we here that kidney function is normal. We love you guys!
    Jim and Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, its good that you are still trying to keep your sense of humor when things are so crazy! I'll be there soon, I wish I could have been there before Karens surgery, but at least I'll be there to help both of them recover. Everyone I know, and some people I dont know are praying for everyone involved. Love you guys!!! And dont worry too much, God is watching over everything...
    Love you guys to the rock moon and back!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Karen, Bob, Lena, and Austin. I thought about you last week and wondered if you ever got your transplant. So glad Amy posted your blog on Facebook. I will pray for you and keep all of you in my thoughts. Glad to know you have some support for these next two weeks.

    Cheers,
    Julie Pinchak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the update and our positive thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I appreciate hearing the true story, not a sugar-coated one. We will eventually be in the same boat and it is good to have some idea of what to expect, though I know each situation is different. We'll look forward to your next update! Kelly Gilbert

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a testimony to see your family pulling together during this critical time in your lives. God is doing such wonderful things already! Please know that you all are in our thoughts & prayers daily! Tim & Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blog. Hang in there.. it's crazy at this time.. you are going to have surgery.. you wouldn't be normal if you didn't think all the what ifs. I have confidence that this is going to go exceptionally well. Welcome to the adventure of a new lease on life. You have alot of support just take it one day at a time. You all are in my prayers
    Ka Ren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ser and I are constantly thinking of you. Good luck on Tuesday (or Wednesday, depending where you are in the world) and thank you for sharing this with all of us. We are so proud of you two for how you are facing this and, as always, being able to add some humor to a tough time. Here's to putting all of this in the rear view mirror and getting on with a great new chapter of life together!

    ReplyDelete