Monday, February 21, 2011

Karen - Update #1! Thank you!

So I have been wondering how I express my feelings for all of the amazing support that I received, literally from all over the world, through my transplant process. I have been waiting for this day since I was around 5 years old, I knew it would show up at some point in time. What I did not envision was the overwhelming support of so many friends and family. Don't get me wrong, I love you all and I know my husband rocks! But MAN did you all exceed my expectations! I just can't find the words to tell you what it meant to know that so many people were behind me on this. Support like that truly makes a person stronger, so with every fiber of my being.....I THANK YOU!!! My husband, as you all know, is a pretty awesome guy as well. I have been trying to find a way to portray my thoughts to him about everything he has done for me through all of this. I told him today that I didn't go through this with his help, but "we went through this". He was there for every awful part, every wonderful part and every disgusting part with love in his heart. He brought me sips of water, helped me out of bed, helped unplug all of my wires every time I had to get up out of the hospital bed, kept everyone updated, brought me the phone when he thought I would be up for calling a friend (even if I thought I wasn't - although he was always right!), brought me my computer, brought me my schoolbooks, and on and on! Not only did he support me and you (my friends), but he loved my mom and my sister while they were waiting as well. Who has that kind of strength?! So again, to my friends, family and Bob....thank you!

So on a different note, even though I have been waiting for this for most of my life, it still doesn't seem to make it feel normal. It IS weird that someone else's kidney is inside of me. It IS weird that I have to take so many medications, to include 2 TBSPs of canola oil everyday (yuck!). It IS also weird that I don't feel tired anymore, which was a feeling that I always had, pretty much all the time. I am hoping that side effect will stick with me! It is totally weird that I still have a tube sticking out of my side. But I am looking ahead and getting used to my new life with meds and some small restrictions. For example, when I get to Lake Tahoe this summer to visit with friends, I will not be joining you in the water. But a little price to pay for not being hooked up to a dialysis machine to live! I am looking forward to the day that I walk into the gym and do a normal workout! I look forward to driving again. And I REALLY look forward to getting this tube out of my side! I also look forward to thanking the wonderful man in TX that decided that it would be a great idea to give away a perfectly good organ! I wonder what he will be like? I think of a cowboy in wranglers and boots, but maybe he is a business man? Who knows? Either way.....TX man....you rock!!

As for this blog, I really enjoyed reading everything that Bob updated you all on over this time, as well as the comments. Peter Schaaf, thanks for having confidence in me and guessing my creatinine level! :) Really people.....1.7, 1.8???? I am stronger than that!! Ricky...I knew you were always one of the smarter people in the family and found it funny that you actually had a reason why balloons were probably not allowed in my hospital room, AND that you are probably correct. For those of you that don't know, my cousin Ricky also offered me his kidney. It worked out differently, although we were a match, but I thank you Ricky and love you! Amy Barnett, I will certainly have to learn to be more careful with over the counter meds now! Did you see the stack of pills they gave me?! Well, at least they didn't give them to me after I had downed 5 margaritas!

Bob and I will continue to post on this blog as we are not completely through our ordeal as of yet. In order for me to get this TX kidney, my Mom had to also agree to give one of her perfectly good kidneys. She will be doing this on Wednesday and the kidney will be overnighted to NY. It will be interesting to be on the side of the donor and know a bit about my TX donor man went through. My mom is now on a clear liquid diet until then and I am sure is getting a bit nervous. I am really hoping this will be easier on her than it was on me. Please keep my Mom in your thoughts and prayers! It is a very difficult thing to watch a loved one go through something like this when there is NOTHING wrong with them! I love my Mom very much and pray that this goes as easy as possible for her on Wednesday and that her recipient takes to her kidney better or just as well as I took my donor's kidney!

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!

Love -
Karen

11 comments:

  1. Karen, this is a great service you're doing for the PKD community. I'm going to send out a link to your blog to the LA Chapter. I'm so glad you're doing well and in good spirits.
    Dwight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I am so happy for you and your family. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Keep us all posted on what comes next for you. and you are right that texas man ROCKS! Im sorry you had to wait soo long for the right Kidney. But they do say that great things comes to those who wait.. so maybe that is a sign! Lots of love. Take care,
    Bethie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you and have wishes for many more happy updates! Our kids are nearly 4 yrs and 1 1/2 years post kidney transplant...welcome to the other side! It's way better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how good it is to hear from you! What an amazing journey you're on Karen. I am thrilled to hear that you already feel some changes, and all the other changes will happen in perfect time as well :). You know that we will be praying for your mother the whole time and the Lord will be watching over her and those amazing doctors. We are loving Lena, Austin, Jan, and Elvis here for you but sure wish we could visit. :( I'm pending another strep test result (unreal!!!)and Esme has that never-ending cold. Please feel a big ((hug)) from me and know that you are being loved from Edwards. We misssssssss you!!!!! Love you both, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only knew you for a short time at Hill when our girls were in preschool together, but I feel so blessed to be following you on this amazing journey. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so good to be able talk to you, it seemed like forever since we talked last,, although it was only a couple of days. I knew everything would go great, because you are so strong and have such a positive outlook on everything. I have learned a lot of things from you. And I am sooo proud of you!!!!! Sorry about the 1.7, I was told it would take four days to get there, so..... I was wrong, I'll be your nurse while I'm there and you can order me around lol. See you in a couple of days. And thank you for letting me be a part of all this.
    Love you guys,Giner lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent update, glad to see you back in the game (love that you're looking forward to the gym again!). So Bob is brilliant, funny, a fierce friend, tough and ALSO a wonderful husband? Good grief, now I really don't like him. Big hugs and continued well wishes to you all...except Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen I may have taken classes with you at Cal U and I wish you a speedy recovery God bless and take care

    Kirk Fontaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only Karen would be cracking jokes after major surgery! Sorry to hear you might be giving up naps and hopefully the drain won't cause a wardrobe crisis!! So glad you are feeling better. Love, amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you are doing ok, classmate. Praying for a full recovery. God Bless, Fallon Martin

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The Texas Man", aka John does rock! You'll see and I bet you'll be surprised.

    ReplyDelete