Thursday, January 27, 2011

Update #2 - 27 Jan, 2200 - Edwards AFB, CA

Karen is doing well.  She is feeling better since the last update.  Her headaches have completely subsided, but the heart palpitations are ongoing, although much less.  Today she saw the cardiologist who hooked her up to a heart monitor "halter".  It's a contraption that's taped to her chest.  She can wear normal clothes over the halter, but it's big and bulky.  It looks like she's either looking for a game of laser tag, or has part of a transformer costume underneath her clothes.  Either way, it's awesome.  She gets it off tomorrow afternoon (sts).

As mentioned, Karen and her mom are taking part in the Kidney Exchange at UCLA.  The following web page will clear up most questions, although Barbara's comment on the "background" post was spot-on.

http://transplants.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=112

Karen's transplant is still on for 15 Feb, although her mom may not donate her kidney until 25 Feb.  The recipient of Karen's mother's kidney has unexpectedly become ill.  So ill in fact, that she can not accept a kidney on 15 Feb.  It makes me so sad.  So sad to know that with the drop of a hat, a person's condition can change so much that they cannot accept a life saving procedure.  The woman, whose name I do not know, is certainly in our prayers.  I ask she is in yours too. 

So, Karen's mom will be donating her kidney 10 days after Karen's transplant.  Usually, UCLA will NOT do the exchange program on different days, as they do not want to take the chance of someone backing out of their promise to donate.  In the case of Karen's mother, they trust her commitment to giving the gift of life, even to someone she has never met.  They see, as I see, her wonderful heart.

Speaking of wonderful hearts - thanks again to Tammy for making a wonderful spaghetti dinner following our trip to the ER.  We love you Tammy!

FYI - I think I posted an RSS feed.  I don't know what an RSS feed is, but a friend of mine that doesn't speak much English requested it.  I think the feed can be downloaded to a reader, then translated into a different language.  Enjoy, Jose.

Thanks for all your notes of encouragement!

-Bob

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there before Karens surgery, that was my plan, but now they moved Barbaras to the later date and she needs me to take care of her. But maybe Karen will be feeling better by the time I get there!! There are MANY people I know that are praying for everyone. This is only the beginning of a new chapter in life :) Love you Bob for doing this for all of us!!

    Love you to the "Rockmoon" Karen!!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent placement of sts. Me gusta mucho RSS.

    ReplyDelete