Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Update #1 - 25 Jan, 0030 - Palmdale Regional Medical Center

All is well, although I write this update from the side of Karen’s bed in the Palmdale Regional Medical Center’s Emergency Room.  Long story short…last week Karen complained of heart palpitations and a headache.  On Friday she had a CT scan and a “lumbar puncture” to test for blood in the cerebral spinal fluid.  Both were negative, but unfortunately she developed a “spinal headache”, associated with the lumbar puncture.  This same scenario happened while in Texas quite a few years back.  The treatment was to get a couple bags of IV fluid, then a bit of rest. 

She just emptied an IV bag, and the ER doc is signing her release paperwork.  A day or two of rest and plenty of fluids, and she should be good as new.  Or at least as good as someone in end-stage renal failure who is soon to have a kidney transplant.

Speaking of which!!!!!  On our way down to the ER (40 minute drive) Karen received a call from her transplant coordinator (Suzanne).  The date they decided on for the transplant is 15 February 2011!  Three weeks away.  Holy crap.

Special thanks today to Tammy Thomas, who picked Lena up from school after Karen and I left for the ER.  Also to Jen and Moneyshot Beich who not only fed our children at their home this evening, but to Moneyshot as he broke into our home at midnight (with a ski mask) to ensure Lena would sleep with her big brother so she wouldn’t wake up scared (since mommy and daddy aren’t home).  I thought it wonderful to find out that Austin was still up reading, as he didn’t want to fall asleep in case Lena woke up.  What a good brother.  As far as our parenting goes, we could probably do a bit better.  Oh yeah, and get a freakin’ home phone.

-Bob

10 comments:

  1. Anytime for our awesome neighbors! I did consider going in through the kitchen window to add fun (for me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to be able to follow everything from France, thanks Bob! We're thinking of you a lot and miss you - there's no way our neighbors will be as cool as you ;-)

    Cécile and Reinald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad and I are with you all the way.
    See you soon. Love, Mom and Dad Ungerman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce and Tracy Crocker,

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and will hope that you will have a succesful transplant.

    I know that your mom and dad Ungerman will keep us posted.

    Big hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Thanks to Mom for keeping us posted.

    All our best from Seattle.
    (Mom's Htc friend)... Sharon and Vince

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all in my prayers, such a wonderful family. Stay strong.

    Mary Kappel

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are always thinking of you and especially in the coming weeks. Hang in there and please let us know if there is anything we can do. I know we are 6 hours away, but if we can help with food delivery, anything. You let me know. We love you and are praying for a successful operation.

    xox
    helen & greg ungerman & ella and tyler too :)
    P.S. Tell Lena and Austin, their cousins say hello and that we miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are all in our prayers every night. We love you all and Karen, You are so strong, One of the strongest people I know. You will do great I am sure :) I love you,
    Linda & John (and Billy of course)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We wish you all the best and look forward to updates as things move forward :-)
    Best wishes from Nilla, John and family in Bergen, Norway

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay strong.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Chris and Eleanor Johnson

    ReplyDelete